The following year Rev. James Mann was appointed pastor and he stayed until 1923. The initial calling was for twelve months only with a review after six months when the church would consider his appointment for an indefinite period. There was rapid growth in the early years of his ministry.
Mr. Mann became ill in 1921 and was largely inactive until he finally had to retire in 1923. He had also been church secretary and the church agreed that this position should be held by a deacon in future. They increased the number of deacons to five 'on condition that one of them act as secretary'. Church membership was then 96. Although there was a decline in attendances during Mr. Mann's illness a weekly Prayer Meeting was started in the Mission Hall in 1922.